There are presently no open calls for applications.
We are now accepting applications for the next Summer Seminars in Neuroscience and Philosophy (SSNAP). SSNAP 2018 will occur at Duke University from May 27th to June 9th. These two weeks of intensive training in philosophy and neuroscience aim to foster interdisciplinary collaboration among graduate students, post-doctoral scholars, and professors in these fields.
A total of twenty fellowships are available:
- 10 for applicants primarily from philosophy
- 10 for applicants primarily from neuroscience
Accepted SSNAP fellows will form interdisciplinary teams to develop a joint research project involving aspects of both neuroscience and philosophy. Teams with promising projects can receive a sub-award of up to $30,000 to fund their projects. If you already have an interdisciplinary team, each member should apply separately to SSNAP. In the application, please let us know that you have already formed a team, and supply the names of your teammates.
Generous funding from the Templeton Foundation provides each fellow with:
- Funding for travel expenses
- Room and board during SSNAP
- $1,500 honorarium
We encourage neuroscience and philosophy faculty, post-doctoral scholars, and graduate students to apply for this unique opportunity.
The following materials are required to apply to SSNAP 2018:
- A cover letter describing your experiences in neuroscience and philosophy research, and why you would be a good addition to SSNAP.
- Writing sample (preferably published)
- A brief research proposal for SSNAP. This program aims to foster collaborative research efforts among neuroscientists and philosophers. As such, please propose a novel research project that spans the fields of neuroscience and philosophy. The topic addressed in this brief proposal may or may not be the topic you choose to address in your SSNAP-funded project.
- Three letters of recommendation (for graduate students and post-docs only).